Español Inglés Francés Alemán

  • 2 DSC_7311 1600x550x300
  • CLAUSTRO COLEGIATA 1600X550X300
  • cuesta rehoya 1600X550X300

Convent of La Encarnación

#Turismo

It offers guided visits.

TIMETABLE

 

WINTER

SUMMER

 

ERCARNACIÓN MONASTERY

Encarnación square, no number

 

10:00 am-14:30 pm

16:00 pm-18:00 pm

(mass 08:30 am)

 

09:30 am-14:30 pm y

Thursday:19:00 pm-21:00 pm

(mass 08:30 am)

 

 

This building was concluded in 1549 and its original destination was the hospital of La Encarnación del Hijo de Dios.

In 1612 it was occupied by the Jesuits and, in 1626, the IV Duchess of Osuna founded in the area of the former hospital the monastery ruled by the religious sisters of the order de la Merced.

The façade is made of stone bricks, decorated with pilasters and crowned by a triangular pediment.

The church has a single nave covered by a barrel vault. The main altarpiece is baroque in style. In the niche, we can highlight the sculpture of the virgin of La Merced.

Passing through the church we access to the courtyard: this courtyard is surrounded by Sevillian tiles from the 18th century in which it is possible to contemplate some biblical scenes, the five senses, the four seasons of the year, streets motifs and nuns praying in choir. You can also observe scenes related to bullfighting and hunting.

 

A large part of the inside of the monastery has become a Museum, which is organized around the main courtyard. The Museum is composed of four rooms in which we can contemplate a great collection of Baby Jesus, precious metals and important works of imagery.