Español Inglés Francés Alemán

  • 2 DSC_7311 1600x550x300
  • cuesta rehoya 1600X550X300

Former Municipal Granery


18th century. Granary of the town, hearing, recruitment centre, former hospital and currently home for the elderly. Only the patio can be visited. Open every day. Free entry.

This building has had a long and eventful life. At the beginning of the 16th century, its area was occupied by the brothel and the tavern of the neighbourhood. In 1608, the brothel was moved to the outskirts of the town and the Corral de Comedias (comedy theatre) took its place. In 1731, when theatre performances were forbidden, the city council acquired the property to build the granary.

After being a granary, a hearing, a recruitment center and a hospital, it is currently a home for the elderly. However, it was firstly intended to serve as a granary. As it can be read on the façade’s cartouche, the building was finished in 1779. 

The construction was directed by Antonio Martín, a master builder; and the design, by Pedro Manuel Godoy. 177,937 reales and 16 maravedís (Spanish coin) were spent to finish the project.

The façade is arranged in three bodies, with a central one in which the entrance, made of sepia stone, is inserted. This stone was brought from a neighbour town: Estepa.

At the top of the entrance, we find the shield of the town: two bears chained to a tower on top of which there is a sphinx, a lion or a winged horse, half animal, half human.

The right side of the façade is concluded with a sun dial.

Inside the building, only the patio remains; which presents a series of arches resting on columns in two of the four sides.