In 1531, the 4th Count of Ureña gave the former hermitage of San Sebastián and the attached hospital to the friars of the Order of Preachers so that they founded their convent. It seems that the Count asked not to demolish the hermitage, but make it absorbed by the new Church.
Its final construction dates back to the 7th March, 1547. However, it underwent several renovations during the 17th and 18th centuries. It presents two facades and, inside, there is a single nave covered by a barrel vault replacing a missing Mudejar ceiling.
The presbytery is raised a bit over the nave, and it is covered by a ribbed vault. In both sides of the chapel, there are side chapels covered by domes on pendentives.
The main altarpiece was ordered by Diego de Velasco and Jerónimo Hernández in 1582, and it is composed by the predella and two bodies of five compartments, separated by Corinthian columns. It is dominated by a sculpture of Santo Domingo penitente.
The two altarpieces, with paintings by Antonio de Alfián, were ordered in 1564, and are noteworthy. On them, we find the Virgen de Belén, which still preserve the sculpture work of Lorenzo Meléndez.
In the chorus, it is preserved a stalls composed by 27 seats with their backs decorated with reliefs of Dominican Saints, from the 17th century. The organ, for its part, is from the 18th.
Furthermore, in the upper part, it is possible to visit a sacred art museum, with great valuable pieces belonging to the church.