The Brotherhood of La Santa Vera Cruz was founded in 1545 in the Franciscan convent of Madre de Dios, where it had its own chapel, added to San Juan de Letrán Archibasilica from Rome. After the Franciscan temple collapsed in december of 1944, the brotherhood moved to the ancient convent of San Agustín Church, where is its canonical see until then.
El Cristo de la Vera Cruz is an anonymous work whose execution can be situated between the third and fourth decade of the 16th century. It´s made up of wood. It goes on procession in a gothic style pace belonging to the end of the 19th century carried out in the workshop of Hipólito Rossi. The sculpure of Santo Ecce Homo del Portal, currently known as Nuestro Padre Jesús Cautivo, made in 1765 by the sculptor Fernando Ortiz from Málaga, in order to lead the main altarpiece of the convent of San Francisco. The image of the carving of Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza, which replaced the ancient image of Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, it was made as well as the image of San Juan Evangelista by the sculptor Vicente Tena in 1901, from Valencia. Both images go on procession in an Oriental style pace from the end of 19th century from which stand out the figures of griffins and effigies in the corners, known as “La Virgen de los Perritos”.
This brotherhood goes on procession from San Agustín Church with great expectation of people. Highlight the many “saetas” (kind of singing) that acompanying during its route and its passage through the main square “Plaza Mayor”.
The Brotherhood of la Vera-Cruz organizes every year the de Saetas Competition “Carmen Torres” and the "Seven Words" Proclamation with the colaboration of the Osuna City Council.