REAL HERMANDAD DE PENITENCIA Y HUMILDE ESCLAVITUD MERCEDARIA Y COFRADÍA DE NAZARENOS DE LAS NEGACIONES Y LÁGRIMAS DEL SEÑOR SAN PEDRO Y NUESTRA SEÑORA Y MADRE DE LOS DOLORES
It was founded in La Merced Church by Mr. Manuel de Ávalos y Pimentel in 1705. In its beginnings, it was an eminently monastic brotherhood in which the Mercedarians “descalzos” had an important role to its foundation and its development. After the collapse of La Merced Church in 1964, Mercedarians moved to Santo Domingo Church until today, from where they go on procession.
The Brotherhood is comprised of two images such as Nuestro Padre Jesús Caído, a polychrome cedar wood carving; its author is a sculptor from Écija called Alonso Gayón, belonging to 1703. And Nuestra Señora y Madre de los Dolores, an anonymous image from 18th century that traditionally was attributed to the sculptor Juan de Astorga from Málaga, but according to recent researches by José Luis Romero situated the dating even more ancient, attributing the image to the sculptor Salvador Guitérrez de León.
REAL HERMANDAD Y COFRADÍAS DE NAZARENOS DE NUESTRO PADRE JESÚS DE LA HUMILDAD Y PACIENCIA, CRISTO ATADO A LA COLUMNA Y MARÍA SANTÍSIMA DE LA SOLEDAD.
According to oral tradition, this brotherhood was founded in 1602 by the “Esparteros guild”, popularly known as brotherhood of the “pellejo”, since some of the brothers had a kind of leather boots which contained an unguent to heal the wounds that were made by the penitents.
The brotherhood is comprised of three images: Nuestro Padre Jesús de la Humildad y Paciencia, by an unknown artist belonging to 16th century; Cristo atado a la columna, by Mr. Antonio Izquierdo Benegas from Seville between 1964 and 1965; and María Santísima de la Soledad belongs to 1840 which is attributed to Mr. Juan de Astorga and made up of cedar wood.
The first image that went on procession of this brotherhood was “El Cristo de la Humildad y Paciencia” until 1965 that they decided not to go on procession more due to its deterioration. From that moment, the carving was preserved in the convent of Las Madres Carmelitas of Osuna remaining there until 1998, when the brotherhood decided its restoration.
In grateful recognition to Las Madres Carmelitas, the brotherhood transferred its primitive carving to the convent of San Pedro, where it is worshipped one week before Easter and from there, it goes on procession (Via Crucis) each Easter Monday. This Via Crucis (the Way of Crosses) passes through some streets of the neighbourhood. As the carving of the Cristo de la Humildad was deteriorated they ordered to create a carving of the Cristo atado a la columna as a substitute. The starting point is the Covento Padres Carmelitas church.